Taking stock of your life can help you to analyse what you’d like to do differently to transform where you are now to where you want to be.
It’s easy to feel lost, overwhelmed, and aimless in life and if you don’t know what you’re doing or where you’d like to head, a life audit can help you to build your life with intention.
A life audit may well bring you new insights and will get you thinking about what you want from life and how you’re spending your time. It can mean the difference between living life by default or living your life by design and on purpose.
Conducting a life audit
There are many areas in which you can conduct a life audit depending on what’s important to you. Here are a few you might like to consider:
- Your career
- Your relationship with a partner
- Your skills
- Your finances
- Relationships with friends or family
- Your living conditions
- How you spend your time
- Your health/fitness level
- How happy you are
- Your spirituality
Here’s how to conduct a life audit:Choose which areas you’d like in your audit from the above list.
1. Choose which areas of your life you’d like to include your audit
2. Score each area out of 10 in terms of how successful you feel it is. You could use metrics that are important to you and your situation
3. Design a form that you’re going to use for your audit. It can be something very simple, such as the following:
5. Carry out your action plan and progress your plans with a friend or a life coach at least once a month/.
The Wheel of Life
Next you might like to also see elements depicted as the ‘Wheel of Life’.
To do this you add eight sections that represent aspects of your life.
Next take the centre of of the wheel as 0 and the outer edge as 10, ranking your level of satisfaction with each area out of 10 by drawing a line to create a new outer edge (see diagram).
The new perimeter of the circle represents your ‘wheel of life’
Once you have your wheel, answer the following questions:
- Describe what kind of ride this would be if the wheel were real
- How do you feel about your life when you look at the wheel
- List the areas that you need to work on most